Friday, July 15, 2011

Late Lunch

Sometimes I think I could get used to this unemployment thing.  I had a super tough but awesome progression workout this morning.  It was a 3 mile warm-up run, 4 mile progression run (each mile sped up by 10 seconds: 6:40, 6:30, 6:20, 6:10), and a 4 mile cool down.  Thank goodness for my new Birmingham running buddy, Alison.  She had the workout scheduled as part of her marathon training, and I was in need of something challenging!

After our run, we went to get coffee and talked for almost 2 hours! (That's where the enjoying unemployment part comes in.)  It’s always nice to meet people you have a lot in common with, especially when they understand the crazy life of a marathon runner!  That being said, I ate a later breakfast and wasn’t hungry for lunch until a little bit later.  One of the things we talked about was my need for some more complex carbs.  I decided to feed that need, and made a delicious yet healthy wrap.

If you haven’t tried Flat Out flatbreads, I suggest you hop to it!  Seriously, run to get some…it’ll get your heart rate up! ;-) I spread Greek olive hummus on a flatbread, topped it with a bit of grilled chicken, thinly sliced carrots, cheddar cheese, mixed greens, and balsamic marinated grilled asparagus (left from last night’s dinner).  I sprinkled this with salt and pepper, drizzled with a bit of spicy brown mustard, rolled it up, wrapped in aluminum foil and baked at 425’F for about 15 minutes.

Oh, in case you were wondering why one end of the flatbread has been ravaged...I was also craving a taste of almond butter...
The result was nothing short of fantastic!  It was just the right amount, and satisfied my carb craving.  Did I mention that I LOVE these flatbreads!?  For a quick, healthy yet hearty lunch, try this out.  You can change the fillings to fit your taste, but make sure you load it with veggies and protein!

Note the "Smart Water" in the background.  I don't know if it's the bottle or the water that I love so much, but I always feel extra fancy drinking it. :) 
Another note...my oldest, dearest, amazing friend, Ashley, recently started a food blog of her own.  I must say, her New Orleans upbringing surrounded by good food must have rubbed off.  She's doing some very creative things with food!  Check out Ashley's Appetite!  

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment