Saturday, February 26, 2011

Kitchen Sink

               This is the first Saturday that I’ve been off work for no reason in longer than I can remember.  I spent the morning going to an exercise class….think Zumba meets Hip Hop meets strength training.  It was AWESOME!  After that I met with the manager of the restaurant where we’re having our rehearsal dinner to finalize a menu…more fun!  I came home and SMACK!  Reality sank in that the house needed cleaning, the dogs needed bathing, and I was going to be tired by the end of it. 
               
                Jake and Shelby are my babies.  They are the best dogs ever in the entire world!  That being said, they have a lot of hair.  Shelby is a German Sheppard mix, and she is starting to shed her winter coat.  Fortunately, my parents have a Furminator!  Armed with this tool, I brushed and brushed and brushed.  Finally, I felt like I’d made a dent in the layers of fur.  I decided to tackle bath time.  Jake and Shelby are the easiest dogs to bathe, in addition to being the best dogs ever.
               
                By the time I brushed and bathed the dogs, swept and vacuumed the hair, washed my sheets and clothes, and FINALLY got a chance to take my own shower, I was exhausted!  I did a little bit of school work, and scrounged for something to make for dinner.  I hit the jackpot!  My parents made pizzas last night, but had some leftover veggies.  I was like a kid in a candy store.
                
                First, I sautéed some baby portabella mushrooms.       

                
                Next, I heated up the already cooked eggplant and roasted yellow peppers.

                
               After that, I sautéed fresh spinach.  I remembered that there was some butternut squash soup in the freezer, so I quickly thawed that out.  I added it to the veggies as a sauce, not a soup.  I added everything together with some sliced olives, topped it with goat cheese and a few chopped walnuts.

                
              After a sprinkle of salt and pepper, pour a glass of Malbec, and dinner is served…

                
              This kind off meal is the best: filled with a variety of vegetables, unexpected, and easy!  It’s the kind of meal I like to call the “kitchen sink.”  It’s got lots and lots of stuff!  I prepared this meal while I was on the phone with my matron of honor, Millie.  Millie and I used to talk every single day.  That was before I went back to school.  Now, when we get to talk for more than 5 minutes it is as great as opening a Christmas present!
              This dinner was one of the best I’ve had in a while.  It was super easy, and I got a chance to relax and enjoy my meal.

P.S.  My parents adopted a black lab a few weeks ago.  Bodie is 5 years old, and precious!  I know it's not a good habit to let a dog jump up on you, but when you have a dog who gently jumps up, wraps his enormous paws around your waist, and lays his head on your shoulder, you really can't resist!  Thank you, Bodie, for making our family even more complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment