Monday, January 18, 2010

A Great Breakfast!

Wow, it has been a really long time since I've blogged! I promise to stay on top of my writing.....

Christmas break came and went in a flash! It seemed like there were not enough hours in the day to do anything. Between running a marathon on December 13, Christmas, New Year's, my friend's wedding in Atlanta, and trying to plan my own wedding, it was time to go back to school before I could say the word Nutrition! That being said, I still managed to eat relativeley healthfully.

Today I want to share with you one of my fiance, William's, favorite things I make. It is a simple fruit smoothie. This is something that is a bit high in sugar, but I use milk instead of fruit juice as the liquid to reduce the sugar content. Also, to give it a nicer texture (at least, I think so), I use frozen berries instead of ice cubes. This makes it the consistency of a healthy milkshake!























Fruit Smoothie:


In a blender add:

1 container of non-fat yogurt (whichever flavor you like. I usually use straw/banana or vanilla)
1 banana
4-7 frozen strawberries (depending on their size)
a small handful of frozen blueberries
1/2 scoop of protein powder
1/2 cup of skim milk

Place lid on blender, and turn on to liquify setting. Stream in a bit more milk if necessary. Blend until smooth.

Variations:

Sometimes I leave out the berries and instead place a spoonful of natural peanut butter (the sweetened kind has too much sugar, and tastes too sweet). If I do this, I add a few ice-cubes. It needs to be blended for a little bit longer to crush all of the ice.

Another variation is to use frozen peaches instead of berries. It tastes delicious with a very ripe banana!

This smoothie has quite a bit of sugar. The sugar comes from berries, which makes it healthier than refined sugars. Also, you are getting fiber from the fruit as well as protein from the milk, yogurt, and protein powder. ENJOY!!! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment